Personal trainers are great professional whose goal is to help clients achieve their fitness and health goals. With the many personal trainers Melbourne it often becomes confusing on how to choose the right one or what to look for.
It’s important that you choose the right trainer to help you achieve your goals and get value for your money. Below is a guide to help you get started.
Where to find a personal trainer in Melbourne:
- Local gym or fitness centre- The facilities offer personal training packages for an extra cost- on top of the usual membership fee. The gym you frequent may also allow you to bring your own personal trainer depending on their rules and regulations.
- Word of mouth – This is the best way of finding a good trainer since the referrer has already used his or her services. It’s important to note that what works for one person will not work for another.
- Online, local dailies or the yellow pages- You can find a trainer online or in your local newspaper and get him or her to come to your home. As a safety measure, always check the trainer’s background before inviting him or her in your home.
What to look for in a personal trainer:
- Credentials- This is the most important things to look for in a personal trainer in Melbourne. The ideal trainer should have a recognized certification and preferably hold a degree in the fitness or exercise field. Search for the trainer’s certification in the appropriate body, for instance the American council on exercise, IDEA, health and fitness Association and any other reputable body that can assist you ascertain the credentials of your chosen trainer.
- Personal training experience level- The right personal trainer should have relevant experience in the field. In addition, fitness is a fast moving field and you need to ensure the trainer you choose keeps up with the current trends on fitness, health activities, and exercise. Belonging to a professional body such as IDEA is one way of telling that the professional stays abreast with current important information.
- Certification in CPR and first aid- Though accidents in training are rare, they sometimes happen and when they do you need your personal trainer to be able to administer fist aid.
- References- Personal trainers are hired for varied reasons; fitness training, weight loss, and postnatal fitness just to mention a few. It’s thus important to look for a personal trainer who has expertise in the type of training you are looking for. Ask for references and make sure to call them to help you determine whether they have the expertise and experience that fits your needs.
- Personal trainer liability insurance- It’s important for the personal trainer you choose to have liability insurance in case of injuries or accidents during the training.
- Fees/ cost- Ask the rate per session and any discounts offered. Regarding the rates it’s important to do your homework and discover a trainer with the most attractive offer.
- Hours he or she is available to train- Depending on your schedule choose a trainer who will be there at the right time.
Choosing the right personal trainer in Melbourne is not a walk in the pack. You need to have all the right information to ensure your fitness goals are met and you get your money’s worth. Choose a trainer you feel comfortable with and can effectively communicate with.